This is my first post, so first off, I would like to welcome and thank you for checking out my blog. Although this is a new blog, I have been enjoying concerts since my freshman year in college about ten years ago. Just some history, my first concert ever was a Fall Out Boy show at the then Gwinnett Arena, which is now known as the Infinite Energy Center. Ever since then, I’ve been to hundreds of shows and seen everybody from Carlos Santana to Metallica. In 2017, I also attended a multitude of concerts across different genres and venues, mainly in Atlanta, Georgia, but also across the country as well. So to open the new year, I would like to start by going through a list of personal favorites from 2017.
One important personal belief of mine is that music is a very personal experience between you and the artists you listen to. The list below is not only reflective of some of my interests, but also a realistic list of all the concerts and festivals that I was able to afford and attend in 2017. In each new year I try to expand the number, as well as variety of shows I go to. For instance, I’ve always wanted to attend a heavy metal concert. In 2017, not only was I able to check that off my list, but I was able see arguably the best heavy metal group of all time (Metallica).
So having said that, you might see some shows on this list and think “there’s no way that was the best concert…” at that venue, or of that genre and that may very well be the case. I wasn’t able to attend all the shows that peaked my interest, but I feel that I did attend enough shows to build a good list. Check out my list of favorites for the year below:
- Most Monumental Concert Experience: Stevie Wonder – New Orleans Jazz Fest
- Biggest Surprise of the Year: Meeting Jeremiah Green (Drummer) of Modest Mouse, attending their concert as a VIP, and getting to meet the band at the Coca-Cola Roxy in Atlanta.
- Favorite Show at the Tabernacle: Pretty Girls Love Trap Music Tour – 2 Chainz
- Favorite Show at the Masquerade: Freudian Tour – Daniel Caesar
- Favorite Show at Philips Arena: The Getaway Tour – Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Favorite Show at Infinite Energy Arena: DAMN Tour – Kendrick Lamar, Travis Scott, D.R.A.M.
- Favorite Show at Lakewood Amphitheater: The Search for Everything Tour – John Mayer
- Favorite Show at the Coca-Cola Roxy: Passion, Pain and Demon Slaying Tour – Kid Cudi
- Favorite Show at Center Stage: The Internet Tour – The Internet
- Favorite Show at the Loft: The Big Baby D.R.A.M Tour – D.R.A.M
- Favorite Rock Concert: Hardwired Tour, Suntrust Park – Metallica
- Favorite Hip-Hop Concert: The DAMN Tour, Infinite Energy Center – Kendrick Lamar, Travis Scott, D.R.A.M
- Favorite R&B Concert: The Internet Tour, Center Stage – The Internet
- Favorite Festival Lineup (festival not attended): Governor’s Ball
- Favorite Festival Attended: Music Midtown – Atlanta, GA
- Favorite Festival Performance by an Artist: Stevie Wonder (Bruno Mars a close second)
- Favorite Tour: The DAMN Tour, Infinite Energy Center – Kendrick Lamar, Travis Scott, D.R.A.M
Now that you’ve checked out my list, I would love for you to hear your thoughts. If there were shows that you thought were missing from my list, comment below or reach out to me via the contact page. Let me know how it compares with your list of favorite shows for the year.